The radio in the den cackled with the announcer’s slick, made-over voice, “As quickly as the sun rose over the wreckage in the hot desert, the rumors began to fly of aliens, visitors from another planet, crash landing on the little planet we like to call home, Earth. Are they friendly, do they come in peace, or are they of the more dangerous kind, the ones who kidnap. experiment, and torture, or…”
Mother switched off the radio as the announcer’s voice turned low and sinister. “That’s enough for radio for today’s boys,” she announced flustered.
“But ma,” her oldest son, Tommy, complained from his prime position on the floor in front of the radio.
“No ‘buts’ mister, now wash up for dinner before your father gets home,” she commanded before returning to the dinner-making already in progress.
The boys plodded up the stairs to their shared room, finding the door to the washroom ajar and the water running. “Do you think…?” Mikey fearfully asked the older Tommy.
Tommy shrugged unknowingly before cautiously opening the door just enough to peek inside. He looked high and low but saw nothing.
The source of the running water still out of sight, he opened the door even wider. Mikey, now with some courage, leaned in close to his brother for a peek at the possible alien, hearts pounding as loudly as the running water.
As he leaned in even closer, Mikey brushed up against Tommy, sending both boys screaming down to their mother in the kitchen.
FLY (intransitive verb)
1a : to move in or pass through the air with wings
c : to float, wave, or soar in the air <flags flying at half-mast>
2a : to take flight : flee
b : to fade and disappear : vanish
3a : to move, pass, or spread quickly
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- If your post doesn’t meet our requirements, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
- Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.
This week’s word is fly.