She was gone every day before dawn, but the extra time Lucy had been putting in didn’t pay off as the project she had been wanting went to a male colleague. She worked late into the evening only to still get stuck in traffic. She wolfed down a gas station package of chocolate doughnuts and a soda for dinner while sitting two hours in traffic only to arrive home after dark. Once home Lucy stripped down and turned on the TV to some reality show. It didn’t matter though, as she muted the catty bickering, crawled into bed, turned on her favorite CD and took the little blue pills that opened a door to her imaginary world away from work, bills, and traffic.
A violet sky with lullabies written in the clouds above a field of paper poppies lured Lucy away from the doorway as the night progressed. The wind whispered the stories of the rain until the alarm rang and it was time for Lucy to begin her day in the real world again.
This week’s word is:
3: a means of access or participation : opportunity <opens new doors> <door to success>
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- If you know your post does not meet the requirements of the challenge, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
- Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.
- For the 14 hours following the close of the challenge, voting will be enabled on links.
- In order to vote, return to this post where stars will appear next to each link. To vote, simply click the star that corresponds with your favorite post.
- You can vote for your top three favorite posts.
- Voting is open to everyone. Encourage your friends to vote for you, if you wish, but please don’t tell them to vote on a number. The numbering of the posts changes regularly, as authors have the ability to delete their own links at any time.
- You have 14 hours to vote.